Murphy’s Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Law of Attraction: That which is like unto itself is drawn.
Murphy’s Law of Attraction: Things only appear to be going wrong. Look closer and you’ll see they’re not only going perfectly, they’re going the only way they can at the moment, and in the process, they are forcing you to solve problems and to overcome obstacles that stand between you and your goals.
My Weekend from Hell
So I just launched a contest, updated my website for the holidays, wrote a blog post over at the CoffeeHouse Blog and lots of other busy busy things while at the same time trying to keep up with serial story in the newsletter, trying to finish a book, trying to flesh out and revise a novella, changing and updating cover art, and have a life.
Then, several things happened:
- The URL for the contest took me and sadly, some of my readers, to a porn site.
- It only happened on FB, so I had to change my PW in case I’d been hacked.
- The new PW wouldn’t work, so I had to click the “send me an email to reset” button.
- The email never came, and I learned my official email addy had stopped working.
- I contacted my web guy to fix it. He did.
- Suddenly my website reverted to its August/September version.
- I couldn’t reach helpers, who have lives on weekends. I had to recreate it from scratch.
All is Well
I had a hard time, got very frustrated, and dealt with everything. But I also knew this was happening for a reason and upon reflection, I was reminded of two very important things.
- Everything happening in my life is a mirror image of what’s going on inside me.
- Nothing happens TO me. Everything happens FOR me.
So today, with everything up and running again (I hope!) I’m pondering those two things a little more deeply.
Everything's a Mirror
What was going on inside me that matched the vibration of the crazy, snafu-filled weekend?
To figure that out, I first have to identify how all those “snafu” events felt to me. Some of the things I was feeling as one thing after another went wrong were: Frustration. Feeling overwhelmed. A Sense of Urgency.
To put my feelings into a sentence, it would’ve been, “I have to fix this now! There’s no time for this! I need someone else to handle some of this!”
The second step to understanding, is to think about what has been going on in my life, in my head, in my vibration lately, before the weekend from hell, that matches that same energy.
That one’s easy. I’m in the middle of racing to the finish of a book. At the same time, I’m launching a huge sweepstakes, preparing for a giant holiday promotional push, and shifting my entire online presence from Halloween to Christmas themes.
I didn’t intend for all of this to culminate at the same time, but that’s how it worked out, and I’ve been feeling overwhelmed with getting it all done. I’ve been feeling a sense of urgency–it has to be done NOW! And I’ve been feeling frustrated that I can only do so much, and resentful that I’m not getting a lot of time for fun things just now.
That’s the vibration I’ve been emitting this past week. And so it could only attract things that matched it. Things that are frustrating, overwhelming and urgent.
It’s all just a mirror. And a mirror is just a tool to make you better.
Look for the Benefit
Despite all of that, my default setting is very much one of alignment. Even in my hurrying and overworking, I’m a happy, positive person, and I if I get a little contrast now and then, it only serves to help me grow. That’s what contrast is for. To highlight where you’re off, and help steer you back on.
My second level of reflection after a period like this (and during, too, otherwise it’ll stick with me even longer!) is to look for the proverbial silver lining. What did I get out of all this?
- I did not know my email@example.com email had stopped working, and wouldn’t have, had all this not happened. Now, it’s fixed.
- I did not know that my ISP address was still pointing to the old server, instead of the new one that took it over, and that could’ve manifested in far more serious problems later. Now, it’s fixed.
- I will never again schedule so many major matters culminating at the same time, saving me problems later.
- I reminded myself that I have, in fact, found people who can deal with some of these issues. I must learn to rely on them more, so I’ll have fewer overwhelming feelings going forward.
- The new version of the website looks way better than the older one.
- In rebuilding it, I discovered a holiday video trailer I’d redone was not as nice as the original, and didn’t serve the same purpose, so I located the original, and re-uploaded it. Vastly better.
- All of this, all of it, means less for me to do and deal with during holiday time, and that’s a goal I’ve been intending all year long. From Thanksgiving to New Year’s, my life is going to be nothing but FUN. The Universe is helping me by getting all potential issues out of the way now.
Apply this Method Yourself
When things seem to be going haywire, STOP. Take a deep breath. Resist the urge to beam your frustration at full volume, because that will only create more frustrating things around you. (That’s why “When it rains, it pours.”)
First, notice the way you’re feeling. Think about other things in your life in recent weeks that brought similar feelings, and realize that you’re witnessing Law of Attraction in action.
Take just a minute to appreciate that you’re wise enough to understand all this and shift it to you favor, and then start focusing on the solutions.
Second, start listing every positive thing that came or is in the process of coming as a direct result of the “problems.” Think about how you, and your business, will be better after you’ve successfully negotiated the rough patch, and then accept that those improvements were the reason the rough patch came to begin with.
The Universe is always calling you toward where you want to be. Sometimes we just refuse to budge from where we are until it becomes too unpleasant to stay there.
PS: For more on the contest, click here.
Hopefully, it won’t take you to a porn site. 😉